So today’s my birthday and I’ve decided to celebrate* by not boring you all with some lame story about my life. Cool? Cool. Today, just a yummy, original recipe, hold the yapping.
You’re welcome : )
CHICKEN SAUSAGE PESTO PASTA WITH PEPPERS AND EGGPLANT (windykitchen original)
8 oz short whole wheat pasta (penne, farfalle, etc.)
1/2 large eggplant, cut into bite-sized pieces
2-3 red peppers, cored and cut into matchsticks
1 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 of your favorite chicken sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
1/2 cup prepared pesto (storebought or homemade)
salt and pepperfreshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 425. Place chopped eggplant in colander, sprinkle liberally with salt, and let sit 20-30 minutes (to draw some of the moisture out).
2. Cook pasta to al dente according to package instructions, retaining 1/2 cup pasta water.
3. Spread red pepper eggplant on large baking sheet coated with nonstick or olive oil spray. Drizzle with 2 tsp olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Roast veggies 20 minutes, stirring halfway through cook time.
4. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tsp oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 90 seconds. Add chicken sausage rounds and cook until heated through and browned, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
5. In large bowl, combine cooked pasta, roasted veggies, and chicken sausage. Add pesto and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste and add a little pasta water to thin out if necessary. Top with parmesan cheese and serve warm.
I loved the chicken sausage in this. Every time I cook with chicken sausages, I wonder why I don’t have them more often. I took this to work for lunch several days in a row — yummy!
*I also plan to celebrate with margaritas and queso.