Everyone a little tired this morning from staying up late watching the Oscars? I love how they’re trying to promote the Oscars as being on par with (or, heh, the “female equivalent” of ) the Super Bowl. In fact, it took me forever to realize that the Oscars were last night, because all the promos I saw kept referring to “Oscars Sunday” without actually telling me what the date was! On that note, there sure are a lot of Sunday holidays this time of year, aren’t there? Super Bowl Sunday, “Oscars Sunday,” Selection Sunday…and then of course Easter Sunday and bam! It’s practically summer.
So pretty good Oscars, right? Dresses I loved: Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams, Octavia Spencer. Dresses I hated: Naomi Watts, Zoe Saldana, Kerry Washington. And the most divisive dress in my household was definitely Halle Berry’s — did you guys like this? I thought it was great, but my husband was very offended by the shoulder pads. Guess you can’t please everyone. Here’s a slideshow if you missed it. Also, this dress happened. Unfortunately.
Anyway, I tried to think of a cutesy way to tie these (super, super good) mini Thai chicken pies into the Oscars, but I’m pretty tired from staying up until the end, and my creative juices aren’t really flowing. I was thinking something about Life of Pi, but it didn’t even win and that kid is Indian, not Thai, and now I’ve already gone and been culturally insensitive and it’s not even 9 am.
Speaking of Life of Pi, Deadspin’s Hater’s Guide to the Oscars described it thusly, which made me LOL: Oh hey, it’s the movie for people who are “spiritual” but don’t have the balls to actually pick a religion. By the way, in real life, the tiger eats the kid. It’s not even a question. No one manages to co-exist with a tiger on a lifeboat. That’s complete horseshit. I did not see this movie.
EASY MINI THAI CHICKEN PIES (heavily adapted from Betty Crocker)
Ingredients for the pies:
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken (I poached and shredded 2 chicken breasts and used about 3/4 of the shredded meat)
1/2 cup carrots, chopped or shredded (frozen is fine)
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
4 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated (1/2 an 8-oz package)
1/2 cup Bisquick mix
1/2 cup skim milk
Salted peanuts, roughly chopped, for garnish
Ingredients for the peanut sauce:
3 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp water
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp Asian chili sauce (such as sambal oelek)
1 tsp honey
1 tsp sesame oil
1. Preheat oven to 375. Spray 12 regular-sized muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. To make peanut sauce, combine all sauce ingredients in medium bowl and mix well.
3. In small bowl, combine Bisquick, milk, and eggs; mix well. In large bowl, combine chicken, carrots, cilantro, green onions, mozzarella, and peanut sauce. Stir to combine.
4. Spoon 2 tsp Bisquick mix into each muffin cup. Top with about 1/4 cup chicken mixture, then pour remaining Bisquick mix over chicken mixture (between 2 tsp and 1 tbsp per cup).
5. Bake pies 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in pie comes out clean. Ten minutes into baking, open oven door and sprinkle each pie with a few salted peanuts, then close oven door and allow to continue baking. When finished, let pies cool 5 minutes in the muffin pan, then loosen with a knife and allow to continue cooling 10 more minutes on a wire rack.
YUMMY! I liked these a lot, especially dipped in a little sriracha. Very fun and out-of-the-ordinary!