I have in my head this vision of the perfect meal: it’s a delicious meal on Monday, then somehow gets combined with other stuff to make a different, equally-delicious meal on Tuesday, then continues in that vein all week long until by Sunday night you’re eating some modern-day version of stone soup.
Luckily for my husband, I haven’t yet figured out how to make stone soup, but this recipe is a decent alternative. I made this shredded buffalo chicken in the crockpot on a Sunday and we ate it that night as sandwiches, and then on Monday we used the leftovers to make a buffalo chicken pizza, which gave us additional leftovers to eat on Tuesday. Not too shabby!
As good as the sandwiches and the pizza were, I think this super-duper simple chicken actually tastes best eaten all by itself, cold, straight out of the fridge. You know, if you were the type of person to get out of bed in the middle of the night and raid the fridge while everyone else was sleeping. That’s what this recipe is best for – sneaky night eating. Here’s the recipe for the chicken:
CROCKPOT BUFFALO CHICKEN SANDWICHES (adapted from My Kitchen Apron)
1 1/2 pounds frozen chicken breasts (do not thaw)
1 bottle buffalo sauce
1 package Ranch dressing mix
2 tbsp butter
Sandwich rolls (we liked sourdough)
Ranch dressing (optional)
Blue cheese crumbles (optional)
- Put frozen chicken, wing sauce, and Ranch dressing mix in crockpot.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Using two forks, shred chicken and return to crockpot. Add butter.
- Cook on low for an additional hour. Serve on sandwich rolls with Ranch dressing and blue cheese crumbles.
These were great on a Sunday night, and then on Monday (thanks to a suggestion from my mom), I put the chicken on a pizza! Here’s what I did:
CROCKPOT BUFFALO CHICKEN PIZZA
Pizza crust (you can use premade, but I like this recipe)
3 tbsp Ranch dressing
3 tbsp buffalo wing sauce
Leftover crockpot buffalo chicken
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Spread pizza crust with Ranch dressing and buffalo wing sauce. Top with 1/2 cup mozzarella, then add chicken, green onions, rest of mozzarella cheese, and blue cheese crumbles.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
Two yummy meals that lasted three days (plus some pretty choice midnight snacking). Not quite stone soup, but I’ll take it!